Volume 16 Issue 11

November 2016

November Paddler
The monthly newsletter of Liverpool Canoe Club

Logothumb    LCC Home  
Site Map Site Map 
Page last updated

News items or reports on club activities should be sent to website@liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk

Archived Newsletters… 
Major Trip Reports.…




30/10/16 Major dates for Club Events – for more detail check the online Club Calendar…….

30 Oct 2016 (Sunday)

Halloween paddle - Decorate your boats or come with a mask or costume - Junior club members welcome.  Loads of club boats to use - We paddle up towards Albert Dock, land and enjoy a picnic and then paddle back at dusk / dark.  Please bring a torch!  Click to reserve a place…..

9 Nov 2016

2016 "Reel Paddling Film Festival" The best films from this year’s line-up FREE for club members Click for more……    Venue - Liverpool Marina

30 Nov 2016

“Talk the Walk” Alan Creedon`s journey from Manchester to the Dingle on the west coast of Ireland including the formidable crossing of the Irish Sea by kayak.  Click for more……    Venue - Liverpool Marina

25 – 27 Nov 2016

Whitewater Paddling Weekend - Teesdale - Coordinator Roy McHale and Fiona Barry Click for more……

13 – 17th April 2017

Scottish Easter Paddling Holiday based at Kinlochleven - coordinator Roy McHale. Click to book a place…

30/10/16 October
“Photo of the Month” Competition


Liverpool Canoe Club Photo Competition Winners

Congratulations to Kathy Morton for her winning photo:

“Julie Brookes after the “Little Eye Race””

Runner up Claire Murphy:

Carole Thomas on the “Rab” Wave – French Alps”

Runner up Fiona Barry:

“Leanne in the infamous Chateau Queyras Gorge”

 Not found your photograph? – see all the entries for this month………..

Criteria for the photo of the month competition…. 25 % Quality and sharpness of the photograph, 25% Quirkiness and framing of the subject,
25% Diversity of the subject material (ie not all one discipline), 25% has LCC logo or clothing in the shot.
Please send in your entries for next month now - website@liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk

26/10/16 Part One (Day 1-5). Club Expedition to Alaska (Whittier to Perry Island crossing over to Knight Island and return via Port Nellie Juan) “Can bears swim?”


This clubs` expedition to Prince William Sound is now well established with trips in 2008, 2010, 2013 and again in 2016. This time we headed out to the islands in search of whales.  This involved some fairly long open crossings including some in fog. We were stormbound for a day with strong gusty winds and waterspouts and on another encountered the heaviest 24 hours of rain any of us could imagine.


Every day we encountered something interesting including; humpback whales, black bears, Steller Sea lions and common harbour seals, sea otters, bald headed eagles and many other sea birds; they seemed to be everywhere.  We also paddled up to several enormous tide-water glaciers. 

Our friend Levi Hogan (below) shuttled us to and from Whittier along with supplying his fleet of high quality UK Sea kayaks.


Carole Thomas

Debbie Hughes

Dave Rider

Ian Bell


Catrionia Hare

Pete Thomas

Nicki Corbett

Brian Green


Mike Alter

Kathy Morton

Don Brooks

Mark Pawley


The flight out and getting to Whittier

Levi Hogan from Turnagain Kayaks

http://gwenniesrestaurant.com/GwenniesRestaurant2.jpgThis year, not only did we find a new outfitter, Levi Hogan and Turnagain kayaks but we also found cheaper and more direct flights via Iceland.  Consequently, we had a much larger group than normal with 13 of us making the journey out to Anchorage.  The flights cost around £800 with short stop over (2hrs) in the new North Atlantic hub of Reykjavik.  On the way-out we were all kicking ourselves as we should have booked a couple of days in Iceland instead of flying straight through.  We had to endure numerous advertising videos and TV programmes teasing us with the best that Iceland had to offer.

After our midmorning departure from Manchester we arrived in Alaska 12hours later at 5pm local time and still in daylight.  A quick free shuttle to our hotel and we were unpacking in 3 large and spacious rooms.  That evening we discovered Gwennie’s Old Alaska Restaurant, just opposite our hotel.  Great home cooking.       More Photos……….


Day One (Thursday) – Whittier to Entry Cove

In the morning we washed and showered and went down for a full continental breakfast at 6:30am.  Levi arrived spot on time and was towing all the kit in a large car transporter trailer.  The shop took longer than expected and seemed to cost considerably more than in the past.  Despite this we made the 11:30am tunnel and were packing the kayaks soon after midday at the Lazy Otter beach just opposite the Ferry in Whittier.


Levi was keen to try and catch the next tunnel in an hours’ time so we rushed to unpack our flight bags and spare items and threw them into his trailer.  We then finished our packing and made our way onto the water.  We left the ferry port of Whittier with a warning from the ferocious cries of an officious looking female security guard “sir, you are committing a violation – move away now.”  I am not sure if she would have drawn her pistol but her hand was certainly resting on her holster!  Brian made haste away from the beach, apparently, his stern had drifted a foot or so between one of the piles of the jetty.

We turned left and headed for the north shore of Passage Canal.  Here we found the two waterfalls made famous by the Kittiwake rookery above.  We just had to test the dryness of our waterproofs.    


After numerous photographs we moved on along the shore exploring the many bays and coves passing below the Billings Glacier.  Several possible sightings of bears proved fruitless and often turned out to be dark rocks on the shore.  We also discovered several groups of dead trees near the shoreline, almost certainly killed during the 1964 earthquake when much of the land in the area sank by over a metre.  This has allowed saltwater to inundate the shore line and has literally poison them where they stood.


After a few hours we reached the end of Passage Canal.  It was soon going to be dark and we were looking for possible campsites just in case we did not make our intended destination of Entry Cove.  I paddled into Logging Camp Bay to check out any possibilities. I quickly hopped out of my boat leaving it next to the beach and by the time I had climbed the shingle beach the stream had started to wash it along the beach.  I returned to it but had to wade around the top of the channel and this was long enough to push it out far enough to require me to wade into my waist to recover my boat.   Mike had been keeping an eye on me from about half a Km away and too far to stop me having to get wet.


The site was not ideal, especially for a large group of 13 people.  We headed on to Entry Cove but as we rounded the point we found 3 kayakers already camped there. While they would have moved over and made space it was clear they were not keen.  The light was now fading fast and we decided to camp on the shingle spit and small beach just before the small island at Entry Cove.  This actually turned out to be ideal if only a little short on space.   This did not matter as we soon flattened the top berm into tent sized platforms.  It was neap tides so there was little chance of the tide coming up to the tents and we had plenty of room to cook the evening meal on the beach below the tide line.  We of course had the added bonus of the view out towards Esther Island the Prince William Sound and beyond.


Keith Steer     More Photos……….       Voice over……..


Day Two (Friday) – Entry Cove to Perry Island


The Wally Noerenberg Hatchery (WNH) is the second PWSAC-owned hatchery located in Lake Bay on the southern end of Esther Island in Prince William Sound, approximately 20 miles east of Whittier.  The hatchery was built in 1985 with monies borrowed from the Alaska Fisheries Enhancement Revolving Loan Fund.  WNH is currently permitted for 148 million pink, 165 million chum, 4 million coho, and 4 million Chinook salmon eggs annually.  Sockeye salmon were also cultured at WNH in the past and was transferred to the Main Bay Hatchery in 1990.


Klint Hischke, WNH Hatchery Manager leads a permanent, year-round staff of eight along with a seasonal staff of 12 during the summer months.  Klint has worked with PWSAC (Remote Programs, CCH and WNH) since 2013.  He received his B.S. in Water Resource-Fisheries with a minor in Aquaculture from University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point.

All the Hatchery Managers enjoy giving tours, showing off their hatcheries and the fish, so please stop by if you are in the area.  All the hatcheries can be contacted on VHF 16.

This marine park is located on the southern end of Esther Island, including Lake and Quillian Bays. Lake Bay houses one of the world's largest fish hatcheries. You can also carefully navigate to the head of the bay for an anchorage. A hike along the eastern edge of the lagoon and through a low, forested pass brings you to Esther Lake. The land is too wet and uneven for camping.


The Wally H. Noerenberg Fish Hatchery is owned and operated by the Prince William Sound Aquaculture Corporation (PWSAC). PWSAC is a private, non-profit corporation operating under a special permit with Alaska State Parks. Fresh water can be obtained from the floating dock near the hatchery. Mooring buoys in front of the hatchery may be used if available.

During commercial openings, the fishing fleet crowds the area and you are advised to stay clear of the nets and boat traffic. During the height of the fish run, black bears can be seen near the hatchery.


After a reasonable first night on the small shingle beach we woke and cooked breakfast and made some readjustments to our packing of our kayaks.  We were soon on the water and paddling across Port Wells, a relatively large crossing looking north towards the enormous glaciers of Harvard and Yale.  After a few hours, we passed Esther rock and were heading for Point Esther. 


We made our way around the coast looking for a suitable landing spot for either lunch or possibly a campsite for the night.  The only landing looked like the fish farm by the stream running out of Esther Lake.  We hauled ourselves out on the concrete slipway for a late elevenses.  However, after a few minutes some of the workers approached and asked if we would like a tour of the farm.  This was totally unexpected but we readily agreed as it was soon to be the end of their break and everyone would start to “farm the fish”.


The operation was fascinating.  The hatchery actually intercepts the salmon as they tried to make their way up the fast-flowing steam, mechanical lifts transported the fish into the factory where they were sorted into male and female, the eggs were cut out of the fish and then inseminated and placed in fresh water which hardened the eggs.  These are then reared and released back into the wild giving between 87 and 92% yield as opposed to 3-7% if left to nature. 2013 was one of the most successful years on record for the hatchery with 147 million eggs taken.


Brood Year

Green Eggs

Fry Released

Total Return

Marine Survival








During our tour, we had to make several returns to the kayaks to stop the incoming tide taking them away.  After thanking Cliff, our tour guide we had a late lunch before deciding to head off again towards Perry Island. 


During the crossing, we began to hear the barking of a seal colony on Egg Rocks.  This was incredibly loud despite being several miles away. As we neared the coast of Perry Island an enormous cruise ship passed us on the “Marine Highway” heading towards the Harvard and Yale Fjords.  We knew the route as a very similar vessel has passed us on a previous trip (See account of 2008)


As we progressed around the North-east coast looking for our campsite we came across another colony of Steller Sea Lions sunning themselves on the rocks.  Their calls were incredibly loud.  As we drifted by some of the younger Sea Lions entered the water to chase and warn us off while the older and more menacing ones roared and bellowed from their perches high on the rocks.  We spent about 30 minutes passing by before being “seen off” towards our camp spot for the night.  


Text Box: Type: Mammal

Diet: Carnivore

Average life span in the wild: 18 (males); 30 (females)

Size: 7.75 to 9.25 ft (2.4 to 2.8 m)

Weight: 1.2 tons (1.1 metric tons)

Group name: Raft (in water); colony (on land)

Relative: Size relative to a 6-ft (2-m) man

Steller Sea Lion Range

Steller Sea Lion

Eumetopias jubatus



Stellers are the largest of all sea lions and they have an appetite to match. These giant pinnipeds hunt fish, squid, octopus and, rarely, smaller seals. They are found off northern Pacific coasts from Japan to California.

Steller sea lion breeding is one of nature's great mass spectacles. When these giants thunder ashore, their favoured beaches, called rookeries, disappear under their numbers. Young pups are sometimes crushed by the throng, unheeded by powerful males with only a single purpose in mind. Bulls (males) must establish and hold a beach territory in order to breed. Most do not achieve this until they are nine or ten years of age.

Females begin to reproduce at about five years of age and typically have one pup per year. Sea lion mothers care for their young and recognize them by a keen sense of smell. Females slip into the sea to hunt and return to their young with the day's catch—identifying their own offspring by touch and scent.

These animals are social and also gather at various times throughout the year when mating and breeding are not taking place. Even in crowds, the big bulls are unmistakable—they are three times larger than females.

Most Steller sea lion populations declined markedly in the 1980s and 1990s, even though the animals are protected. Scientists are unsure what factor or combination of factors is responsible for the decline.


Most of us were pretty tired now after a full day’s paddle (we had effectively done two days in one) and were keen to find a place to put our tents.  As we rounded a corner the we started to see where the campsite should be.  A small peninsula of land gave way to a sheltered beach with tent spaces between some pine trees.  On the other side of the peninsula was an idyllic round bay which was a perfect natural harbour.  We fixed the camp and cooked our evening meals before dusk came rolling in.  I retired to my tent to fall readily asleep.


Ian Bell    More Photos…….       Voice over……..


Day Three (Saturday) – Day 3 Perry Island to Ingot Island (approximately 17 miles)

Just before dawn I crawled quietly out of our tent to answer a call of nature. It was foggy and very damp and the tent was soaking wet from the 100%humidity. I got back into the tent and waited for it to get light, hoping that the sun would rise, burn off the fog and dry everything out. At 0700 it was time to get out and get going as we had a long day ahead of us but the fog still persisted even by the time we were all fully packed and on the water at about 0845.


Keeping close to the coastline, we made our way out of the sheltered bay where we had camped for the night on a shingle beach. Enjoying the task, a number of us navigate continually on these trips, while the majority appeared happy to just follow. One or two carried a map and a deck compass but just pretended to navigate, content at just looking the part I guess.


In the thick fog, even the navigators were slightly perplexed about our exact position. It was taking a while to get our eye in with the scale of the map and the almost 20 degrees of local variation. We were concentrating so hard that the sudden appearance of a Hump Back Whale, braking surface to breath close-by, took us all by surprise and completely stopped us in our tracks. It was quite close to us and we all got a good view as it surfaced once or twice before disappearing altogether out of our lives. Our almost daily encounters four years ago with these fabulous mammals, gave us hope that we would see more on this 2016 trip and here, early on Day 3, we got our first and all-too-brief sighting. They really are special and I always feel very privileged whenever I get close to them.


With the excitement over we decided we knew roughly where we were so headed for a nearby beach for an extended break while willing the visibility to improve. Stoves were lit, brews were made and a small fire dealt with some of our burnable rubbish that was beginning to accumulate. Maybe 90 minutes went by on this beach when, I think it was David Rider, piped up that he could see land in the distance. We all got back into our boats and paddled off cautiously into the mist. Sure enough, rounding Billings Point, a small headland on Perry Island, we could clearly see Lone Island some 3 miles in the distance. This wasn’t our final destination for the day but it gave us somewhere to aim for. It was Catriona’s turn to lead the group today so she got herself out front and pointed her boat towards a small beach, just about visible, on the north-western end of Lone Island. We all tucked in behind her while Keith made it his business to reel in anyone who fanned out too far away from Catriona’s course.


It wasn’t long before we reached this beach and we all got out to have yet more food and drink in preparation for the next, very long, leg of our passage. Rounding Lone Island North-about and with the fog almost completely dissipated, we eventually caught sight of Ingot Island, some 12 miles to the South East. This was going to be a major open passage and certainly one much longer than most of us had ever completed. Catriona got into the lead again and off we went into what turned out to be a calm and easy passage. We had plenty of time to chat and gaze into the distance and, although some of the land was off our map, we reckoned we could see way out of the Prince William Sound area and probably out into the Alaskan Gulf and the Pacific Ocean itself. This was incredible stuff. Being close to shipping lanes, a watch was kept on channel 16 just in case anything big was about to head our way. In the event, nothing but the occasional small fishing boat crossed our path. Hopefully they saw us but none of them appeared surprised to see us in the middle of nowhere and, unconcerned, they passed us by at speed.


After what seemed like ages, Ingot Island began to grow larger and we could see trees and other features. There was plenty of daylight left when we finally arrived at our destination camping beach and the sun had heated up a rocky outcrop where most of us hung tents and other gear to dry off from the previous night. We settled down to sort out our camp and everyone started to cook their evening meal. Caz and I chose a comfortable spot but there was an odd smell about the place. It turned out to be the smell of bear and sure enough, it appeared that a bear had made its bed close-by the night before. There was bear poop here and there and obvious signs of crushed vegetation. We quickly moved much further down the beach and carried on cooking.


By the time we had finished our meals, most of us congregated on top of the outcrop as the view was captivating. As we all gazed around in awe, multiple gun shots rang out from miles away. Perhaps these were Americans firing at empty beer cans but it was more likely that they were hunting bear!

We slept that night hoping that the gun shots hadn’t driven angry bears in our direction.


Pete Thomas     More Photos…….        Voice over……..


Day Four (Sunday) – Ingot Island to Knight Island


Waking up to a magnificent view of snow covered mountains; we followed the now routine 2-hour sequence to get on the water for 9.00am.

Wake, retrieve bags and food from bear cash, toilet, wet wipe wash, sun cream on, contact lenses in, kettle on, pack sleeping bag, pack my Thermarest and anything else in the tent, cup of tea and breakfast, clean teeth, collapse and pack tent (sometimes soaking wet), carry boats near to water, pack everything into kayak, put on paddling gear, and finally, ready to go!! Just as the water reaches the boats.


With a forecast of deteriorating weather, we set off in a south westerly direction across Lower Passage to Passage Point, heading down Knights Passage leaving Knights Island to our left. We had originally hoped to travel down the outside (eastern side) of Knights Island but the weather was not settled enough to do this.


We passed Herring Point covering some ground that we had paddled 4 years previously, passing the beach on which we celebrated Debbie’s birthday, her birthday was again to be celebrated on this trip in a few days’ time.

Just before stopping for lunch a humpback whale appeared alongside us for about 30 seconds before it disappeared with a flick of its tail as it dived away. Lunch was had on a reasonably sized beach as it was mid tide, these beaches change dramatically at high water leaving very narrow areas of shingle to pitch the tents, unbeknown to us at the time, we would see this beach again.

After a 30 min lunch stop we set off passing Lower Herring Bay heading for our proposed next campsite in Johnson Bay. This campsite was especially chosen as, on the map, it looked well tucked in and sheltered.  The weather was starting to deteriorate and a head wind was beginning to be felt. After a fairly long day, we eventually reached Johnson Bay and we were all looking forward to stopping for the night. By now the weather was getting decidedly miserable dull and damp with the wind picking up all the time.


Oh! but where was the campsite? The place marked on the map was a rocky stream bed with no option for 6 tents. All of the navigators in our group double and triple checked everything but still agreed we were in the right place according to the map, it was just that the campsite was unviable. A bit despondent we mooched about the area hoping to find an alternative in the close vicinity but no luck.  What now? It was getting late in the afternoon so other options were not really viable The only realistic option was to turn around and head back to our lunch time stop. So off we set not looking forward to a long paddle back, which in fact with the wind now behind us and all paddling with heads down in the light misty rain took just 90 minutes.

With only just enough room for all the tents along the narrow strip above the high-water mark, we gratefully set up camp, this was nearly not enough as high water the following day nearly breached a tent or two, as you will read in the Day5 instalment.


Carole Thomas       More Photos…….      Voice over……..


Day Five (Monday) – Knight Island (Storm Bound)

After yesterday’s planned campsite to the south of Knight Island did not come up to expectations, non-existent in fact, here we were, camping on a beach not marked as a camp site and…. storm bound. That’d be easy for my write up day then – stormbound…but no, it was an action packed day to say the least.

 I find it hard to believe that there are so few places to camp in such a huge area but room for any tents, let alone as many as we had are hard to find.  It was obvious we were going nowhere for the foreseeable future as the winds were already strong, forecast to get even stronger and it was raining. The tents were crammed at the very top of the beach on the usual shingle, worryingly close to the last high tide strand mark.  Despite major earth works the evening before to flatten out enough level space to pitch, several tents were at crazy gradients with few reliable anchor points

The cooking tarp was pitched at one end of the beach and after breakfast Kathy and Nicky, with the help of Don and Mark, set to with major earth works to re pitch their tent.  The resulting tent platform was a remarkable feat of civil engineering, with substantial log ramparts, but would it be sound enough to survive the next high tide? 

With little else to be done I retired to the tent, (my side of the tent had a crazy slope banked up with full dry bags but was remarkably comfortable considering) to read.  The wind increased with forceful gusts which necessitated me bracing my feet against the tent poles to stop them inverting.  At one stage I stuck my head out to see sheets of water being lifted off the surface of the sea and hurled in our direction.  I was just considering going out into the tempest to get a coffee when the biggest gust ever hit the tent almost flattening it and Ian was shouting outside that the porch was flattened.   I scrambled out while he held the flapping awning and emergency repairs had to be done.  The tide was also causing concern by this time – we spent the next hour under the cook tarp watching as the water got nearer and nearer. One of our guy ropes was tied to a log which started to float.  Boats were pushed further up into the trees. At the opposite end of the beach to the cook tarp, what was a tiny trickle of water from the cliff above yesterday had turned into a raging torrent, and the tipi tent, pitched right in the middle of the beach, now had a large stream running towards it from the forest, which then disappeared under the shingle (and tent) to reappear on the beach and drain into the sea. No shortage of water on this beach, which was slightly ironic as Brian had kindly paddled round to the next bay the night before to fill several water containers because we were getting low on supplies.

By high tide, the sea was inches from most of the tents but occasional waves were actually splashing up the side of Don and Mark’s tent.  Getting from the tents to the cook tarp required wading.  It was a close-run thing and we heaved a sigh of relief as the water receded - the next tide would not be as close.  Eventually the wind dropped, the rain stopped and we were able to continue the next day, back across to Point Newell on the mainland and to a camp site with a little more distance between tents and high tide.   Phew!

Debbie Hughes          More Photos…….         Voice over……..

Part 2 and 3 in next month’s Newsletter


16/10/16 North West and Central Canoe Polo League – Tournament 1
Our Under 18 team played extremely well during their first tournament yesterday.  They beat Red Rose B but had two close games with the first and second place teams from Trentham and Viking.  Hopefully they will continue to develop as they gain more tournament experience.  I know that playing against the senior teams at Halewood pool on a Tuesday has given them loads of confidence.  If you are interested in playing canoe polo please contact polo@liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk


More photos……



Under 18 Youth – Div 3 NW&C

Div 2 NW&C





16/10/16 Clubs French Alps 2016 paddling trip

Chris Murphy has posted his video from this year’s trip…….



16/10/16 Paddler of the Year Awards
Congratulations to all those that were nominated for an Award this year.  The Club evening was a great success and went some way to celebrating all that we do in the club throughout the year. 
Historical record of the Paddler of the Year Awards Click for More…..  http://www.liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk/menu/IE_Small.gif  http://liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk/menu/icon_padlock_big.jpg

2016 Paddler of the Year

2016 Junior of the Year

2016 Volunteer of the Year

2016 Swimmer of the Year


Carole Thomas 

Callum Cook

Steven Bond

Karl Tattum

After joining LCC very soon after it formed, Carole has progressed through to holding 3* Sea and also holds 2* and L1 coaching qualifications. She has also completed her 4* sea training.  She has paddled with the club in Norway, the Mediterranean, Alaska, Slovenia, Austria and France.

Callum is now a very competent paddler and enjoys the no-rules polo on a Thursday evening.  He started to play canoe polo for the club last season and is a key player in this year’s Division 3 Youth Side.

Steve Bond has almost singlehandedly run the junior club both at Broadgreen pool and every Tuesday at the Docks in the summer. He also helps to repair much of the club equipment and is always willing to guide and look after those new to the club.

During a Beercooler Challenge, Karl had an entry / exit incident.  I was able to capture this moment beautifully on this video.....  

Nominees: Carole Thomas, Chris Wood, Leanne Murray

Nominees: Kieron Allerton, Callum Cook

Nominees: Dominic Fahey, Steven Bond, Karl Tattum & Paul Harwood, Colin Muse

Nominees: Karl Tattum, Paul Harwood


16/10/16 Clubs Nepal 2016 paddling trip

John Cooke has posted his video from this year’s trip…….



11/10/16 Penrhyn Mawr and South Stack


Weather and tide:  high tide of 7.39 metres, so low tidal flow through the overfalls.  No significant wind or swell, making for very straightforward conditions in the flow.


Six of us launched from Porthdafarch at 9:30 a.m. to arrive at Penrhyn Mawr while the early flood was at its most gentle, so that Kris could get a feel for how the race works, where the eddies are and so on.  This is great for anyone's first trip into an overfall, as understanding the dynamics of the water really helps you work the waves effectively once conditions build up.  


As expected from the forecast, Penrhyn Mawr wasn't doing much, so we headed over to South Stack.  The outer race had formed a smooth conveyor belt of nice regular waves, giving some easy but fast and smooth rides onto the front from four or five waves back in the flow.  Very sweet.  On days like this you can link waves together and put together some nice aesthetic rides.  Drift back off the front wave and keep doing it until you're happy.


After about an hour the power went out of South Stack and we headed back to Penrhyn Mawr, which had woken up enough to produce some smooth wave trains in the main flows.  The eddies weren't swirling much, so life was easy.  40 minutes' worth of catching waves and Dave decided his shoulders were finished - so were everyone else's, but he called it first.


So far, this autumn's conditions have been great for the overfalls.  Last week, Harry Furlong's was the best ever, in F5 wind and bigger flow, which put the Stacks out-of-bounds.  


Awesome fun in good company.  Feel free to shout up if you are interested in this sort of thing.  We might even get some video on the next trip!


Jules Davies


01/10/16 October Photo of the Month CompetitionClick here to vote for your favourite.  http://www.liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk/menu/IE_Small.gif  



Carole Thomas on the “Rab” Wave – French Alps

Julie Brookes after the “Little Eye Race”


Roy McHale ripping it up at HPP




Andrew and Carole on the River Dee

Leanne in the infamous Chateau Queyras Gorge

Seal at Rhoscolyn Beacon – Anglesey Weekend No.4




Ian Bell escorts finishers at the Liverpool Triathlon




Aleksander and Julie on the SUP at the club




Keith on the wooden slide at Briancon

30/9/16 Newsletter Published 
Please open it by clicking this link
October Newsletter……IE_Small or via the website   More Archived Newsletters….. IE_Small

To check your membership details go to Login button on website or click here….      If you have forgotten your password click here….. to have a new one emailed to you. (Please note that some ISP`s may block our automated system so please contact membership@liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk if you have problems)